- 50 minutes
- 60 minutes
- 75 minutes
- 90 minutes
- 100 minutes
- 120 minutes
In this informative session, Excel expert David Ringstrom, CPA, introduces several lookup functions, including VLOOKUP, HLOOKUP, MATCH, and CHOOSE. These powerful Excel functions allow you to rapidly develop accurate spreadsheets and look up information, such as pay rates, item prices, and accounting results, versus manually linking to specific cells. David explains the context of when to use lookup functions, demonstrates troubleshooting techniques, and prepares you to deal with subtle issues that can prevent them from working properly.
David demonstrates every technique at least twice: first, on a PowerPoint slide with numbered steps, and second, in the Microsoft 365 (formerly known as Office 365) version of Excel. David draws your attention to any differences in the older versions of Excel (2019, 2016, 2013, and earlier) during the presentation as well as in his detailed handouts. David also provides an Excel workbook that includes most of the examples he uses during the webcast.
Microsoft 365 is a subscription-based product that provides new-feature updates as often as monthly. Conversely, the perpetual licensed versions of Excel have feature sets that don’t change. Perpetual licensed versions have year numbers, such as Excel 2019, Excel 2016, and so on.
Topics/Areas Typically Covered:
- Learning about the MINIFS function available in Excel 2019 and Microsoft 365.
- Improving the integrity of spreadsheets with Excel’s VLOOKUP function.
- Comparing the MIN, SMALL, MAX, and LARGE functions.
- Future-proofing VLOOKUP by using Excel’s Table feature versus referencing static ranges.
- Implementing Data Validation to ensure users make choices that VLOOKUP will recognize as valid.
- Reconstructing spreadsheet data to use VLOOKUP as a better alternative to nesting IF functions.
- Troubleshooting other errors VLOOKUP can present, such as #REF!, #NAME!, and #VALUE!.
- Employing the SUMIF function to sum values related to multiple instances of criteria you specify.
- Using VLOOKUP to look up data from another workbook.
- Simplifying multiple-field lookups with concatenation (combining fields into a single cell).
- Viewing two worksheets at the same time within the same workbook.
Learning Objectives/Why You Should Attend:
- State the column that a VLOOKUP function would return data from when a match is found on the lookup_value argument.
- Identify the data integrity improvement the Table feature adds to VLOOKUP.
- Recall the most common cause of a #REF! error returned by VLOOKUP.
- Accounting and Finance
- Excel Users
- Human Resources
Target Job Title:
- Income Tax Preparers
- Enrolled Agents
- Financial Consultants
- IT Professionals
- Human Resource Personnel
- Excel Users
- Government Personnel
About the Instructor:
David H. Ringstrom, CPA, is an author and nationally recognized instructor who teaches scores of webinars each year. His Excel courses are based on over 25 years of consulting and teaching experience. David’s mantra is “Either you work Excel, or it works you,” so he focuses on what he sees users don’t, but should, know about Microsoft Excel. His goal is to empower you to use Excel more effectively. To learn more about David, you can view his LinkedIn profile and follow him on Facebook or Twitter (@excelwriter).
Pricing and Format Options:
Click here to learn about the presentation format and view pricing information.
Click here to view other topics.