- 50 minutes
- 60 minutes
- 75 minutes
- 90 minutes
- 100 minutes
- 120 minutes
Although artificial intelligence seems like it is suddenly permeating every aspect of our daily lives, AI has been part of Excel for over a decade now. In this presentation author and Excel expert David Ringstrom, CPA will walk you through various AI-powered features in Excel, including Flash Fill, Analyze Data, Power Query’s Column From Example, extracting data from pictures and PDF documents, and more. Of course, no discussion of AI would be complete without an exploration of ChatGPT, so David will show you how to write and deconstruct formulas as well as automate repetitive tasks with only a minimal understanding of Excel’s Visual Basic for Applications programming language.
David is the author of “Exploring Microsoft Excel’s Hidden Treasures: Turbocharge your Excel proficiency with expert tips, automation techniques, and overlooked features”. He demonstrates every technique at least twice: first, on a PowerPoint slide with numbered steps, and second, in the subscription-based Excel for Microsoft 365. David draws your attention to any differences in Excel 2021, 2019 or 2016 during the presentation and in his detailed handouts. The handouts include an Excel workbook with most of the examples he uses during his demonstrations.
Excel for Microsoft 365 is a subscription-based product that receives periodic feature updates. Conversely, perpetually licensed versions have year numbers in their names and do not receive any feature updates.
Who should attend:
Professionals seeking to leverage artificial intelligence with regard to spreadsheets.
Topics typically covered:
- Keep or remove rows from the start or end of an array with the TAKE and DROP functions.
- Deconstructing existing formulas by asking ChatGPT to explain the formula in detail.
- Sorting lists of data dynamically from elsewhere in a spreadsheet with the new SORT function.
- Understanding the nuance of editing dynamic array-based formulas in Excel 2021 and Microsoft 365.
- Extracting data from pictures by way of the From Picture command.
- Transforming data in Power Query by way of the Column From Example feature.
- Stack different ranges of cells vertically or horizontally with the VSTACK and HSTACK functions.
- Using ChatGPT to create formulas in Excel based upon a written description of the desired calculation.
- Jump-starting PivotTables by way of the Recommended PivotTables feature.
- Displaying subsets of data dynamically by way of the new FILTER worksheet function.
- Retrieving geographic information directly into Excel spreadsheets with the Geography data type.
- Merging text from two or more columns into a single column without using formulas or repetitive retyping with Flash Fill.
- State the functionality that the Flash Fill feature offers.
- Define the purpose of the Forecast feature in Excel 2016 and later.
- Recognize the color that dynamic array functions are displayed in within Excel’s formula bar in all cells except the cell where the formulas were entered.
NASBA Field of Study:
Specialized Knowledge and Applications (2 hours)
Prior experience with Microsoft Excel is recommended.
About the Instructor:
David H. Ringstrom, CPA is the owner of Accounting Advisors, Inc., an Atlanta-based spreadsheet consulting firm that he started in 1991. Throughout his career David has spoken at conferences on Microsoft Excel, and written dozens of freelance articles about spreadsheets. He offers Excel and Access training and consulting services nationwide.
Pricing and Format Options:
Click here to learn about the presentation format and view pricing information.
Click here to view other topics.