- 100 Minutes Live
In this presentation, author and Excel expert David H. Ringstrom, CPA, will introduce participants to creating financial statements with Power BI on an introductory level. David will use trial balance and chart of accounts reports from QuickBooks Online as sample materials for concepts that can be applied to any accounting software. He’ll discuss common stumbling blocks that accounting reports can cause, as well as how to create self-updating financial statements by connecting Power BI to a folder of reports. You’ll see how to transform trial balance reports into the basis for creating an income statement with a Power BI matrix. Additionally, David will demonstrate the Power BI matrix drill down/drill up feature, providing valuable insights into data analysis and visualization. Don’t miss this opportunity to enhance your analytical skills and improve your financial reporting capabilities.
David is the author of “Exploring Microsoft Excel’s Hidden Treasures: Turbocharge your Excel proficiency with expert tips, automation techniques, and overlooked features”. He demonstrates every technique at least twice: first, on a PowerPoint slide with numbered steps, and second, in the desktop app for Power BI. The handouts include the Excel workbooks that he will use during his demonstrations.
Who should attend:
Professionals seeking to get an introduction to Power BI and creating financial statements.
Topics typically covered:
- Transforming trial balance reports into analysis-ready formats.
- Exporting the Chart of Accounts report from QuickBooks Online.
- Exporting a monthly trial balance report from QuickBooks Online.
- Drilling down and drilling up in a Power BI matrix (equivalent to a PivotTable in Excel).
- Understanding simple stumbling blocks that can cause Power Query to ignore numeric values within financial reports.
- Connecting Power BI to a folder so that you can add new monthly reports to for automatic import.
- Streamlining the filtering of lists using the Slicer feature with tables.
- State which Power BI task pane enables you to add features to a report.
- State what the equivalent of a PivotTable in Microsoft Excel is within Power BI.
NASBA Field of Study:
Specialized Knowledge and Applications (2 hours)
Prior experience with Power BI and/or Power Query is recommended.
About the Instructor:
David H. Ringstrom, CPA is the owner of Accounting Advisors, Inc., an Atlanta-based spreadsheet consulting firm that he started in 1991. Throughout his career David has spoken at conferences on Microsoft Excel, and written dozens of freelance articles about spreadsheets. He offers Excel and Access training and consulting services nationwide.
Pricing and Format Options:
Click here to learn about the presentation format and view pricing information.
Click here to view other topics.