- 100 Minutes Live
Power BI is a Microsoft product that empowers you to create interactive business intelligence tools, such as dashboards. In this session author and Excel expert David H. Ringstrom, CPA will explain the concept of dashboards, which allow you to summarize data while also being able to quickly drill down into the details. David will first show how to use Power Query to prep data for analysis in Excel or Power BI. He’ll then compare how you can summarize and present data both in Microsoft Excel and Power BI.
David is the author of “Exploring Microsoft Excel’s Hidden Treasures: Turbocharge your Excel proficiency with expert tips, automation techniques, and overlooked features”. David is the author of “Exploring Microsoft Excel’s Hidden Treasures: Turbocharge your Excel proficiency with expert tips, automation techniques, and overlooked features”. He demonstrates every technique at least twice: first, on a PowerPoint slide with numbered steps, and second, in Excel for Microsoft 365 or the desktop app for Power BI. The handouts include an Excel workbook with most of the examples he uses during his demonstrations.
Who should attend:
Professionals who would like to learn how to create interactive reporting tools in Power BI and/or Microsoft Excel.
Topics typically covered:
- Comparing an Accounts Receivable Aging Detail report to the Summary version.
- Comparing the free versions of Power BI to the paid versions.
- Connecting Power BI to an Excel workbook.
- Tracing through a typical Power BI workflow.
- Interacting with Power BI reports.
- Creating a PivotTable in Excel as a frame of reference for a Matrix in Power BI.
- Exploring the Power BI interface.
- Contrasting Microsoft Excel to Power Query and Power BI.
- Running an A/R aging summary report in QuickBooks Online.
- Adding tables to a Power BI canvas.
- Creating mobile layouts and sharing Power BI reports.
- Resizing slicers within Power BI and creating charts.
- Identify the menu in Power Query that contains the Fill Down command.
- State which Power BI task pane that you use to select objects that will appear on a Power BI report.
- Define hierarchy form for dates within Power Query tables.
NASBA Field of Study:
Specialized Knowledge and Applications (2 hours)
About the Instructor:
David H. Ringstrom, CPA is the owner of Accounting Advisors, Inc., an Atlanta-based spreadsheet consulting firm that he started in 1991. Throughout his career David has spoken at conferences on Microsoft Excel, and written dozens of freelance articles about spreadsheets. He offers Excel and Access training and consulting services nationwide.
Pricing and Format Options:
Click here to learn about the presentation format and view pricing information.
Click here to view other topics.